John R. Hall Field

Facilities



The John R. Hall Athletics Field opened in 1996 on the corner of Upper and Third Streets. The $2.5 million facility features a state-of-the-art field that mixes the old with the new, offering a traditional feel to a stadium complex.

Hall Field is one of only two outdoor athletics facility with lights on the Transylvania campus. A Bermuda grass surface, installed in 2000, provides one of the best playing surface for softball in the region.

A brick wall interspersed with sections of wrought iron screens the field from busy streets. The brick matches that of the historic Row House, which dates to 1815 and was refurbished to house locker rooms, coaches’ offices, and storage areas. Brick dugouts are provided for softball, and a press box/concession stand is located at the north end of the field.

Transylvania has received several awards for historic preservation and beautification for Hall Field. The field is named in honor of John R. Hall, who was a Transylvania trustee and former chairman and CEO of Ashland Oil Inc., and who was a lead donor for the facility.