Orlando, Fla.– The Transylvania men's tennis team showed increased toughness as they battled the Roger Williams University Hawks to an 8-1 defeat in their latest spring break match.
Transylvania junior Luke Groene turned in the Pioneers best showing of the day, as he captured the No. 1 singles match 7-6, 6-3.
Senior Hussain Siddiqui fell behind early but fought hard in the second set before falling 6-0, 6-3 in No. 4 singles action.
Coach Kevin Calhoun saw a definite improvement in his teams play and mindset going into the match. "I'm really pleased with the way my teams responded to a tough day yesterday," said Calhoun. "Their mindsets across the board were to be confident and positive regardless of the score. That's the Transy Tennis philosophy and they showed a Pioneer spirit today."
In women's action, the Pioneers women's team fell to the Edgewood College Eagles, 7-2. The Eagles were able to snag two of three doubles matches before pulling away in singles action. The Pioneers made noise in the No. 3 singles match, as freshman Lucy Herrington and sophomore Madison Miles cruised to an 8-2 victory of Edgewood's Haley Brooks and Alexa Lindsay.
Herrington returned to take Alyssa Carew to the limit, before Carew fended off the Transy freshman with a 10-8 win in the third-set tiebreaker. Junior Kearstin Bruther collected an inspired win in the No. 5 singles match against Haley Brooks. Bruther had a dominant 6-1 first set win, before digging in deep to pull off a 7-5 win in the second set for a two-set sweep.
Roger Williams 8, Transylvania 1
1. Luke Groene (TRANSYM) def. Jake Cole (RWU) 7-6, 6-3
2. Brendan White (RWU) def. Eric Sandknop (TRANSYM) 6-1, 6-0
3. Nick Spoor (RWU) def. Isaac Settle (TRANSYM) 6-0, 6-1
4. Alex Bonanno (RWU) def. Hussain Siddiqui (TRANSYM) 6-0, 6-3
5. Matthew Russo (RWU) def. J.T. Henderson (TRANSYM) 6-0, 6-0
6. Thomas O'Leary (RWU) def. Daniel Cooper (TRANSYM) 6-1, 6-1
Edgewood 7, Transylvania 2
1. Alicia Picard (EC) def. Lillian Williams (TRANSY) 6-3, 6-2
2. Alyssa Carew (EC) def. Lucy Herrington (TRANSY) 0-6, 7-5, 10-8
3. Sydney Verbauwhede (EC) def. Emily Fulkerson (TRANSY) 6-0, 6-0
4. Jaclyn Swift (EC) def. Myriah Porter (TRANSY) 6-0, 6-3
5. Kearstin Bruther (TRANSY) def. Haley Brooks (EC) 6-1, 7-5
6. Alexa Lindsay (EC) def. Madison Miles (TRANSY) 6-1, 3-6, 10-4
1. Alicia Picard/Sydney Verbauwhede (EC) def. Mary Grace Amato/Lillian Williams (TRANSY) 8-2
2. Alyssa Carew/Jaclyn Swift (EC) def. Emily Fulkerson/Kearstin Bruther (TRANSY) 8-2
3. Lucy Herrington/Madison Miles (TRANSY) def. Haley Brooks/Alexa Lindsay (EC) 8-2
The Pioneers will wrap up their grueling spring break slate of competition when they face the Springfield College Pride on Friday, March 17. The match is set to start at 8:00 a.m. in Orlando, Florida.
For more on Transylvania tennis, follow @TransyTennis on Twitter