Warsaw, Ind. – The Transylvania men's tennis team completed its 2016-17 campaign with an 8-1 defeat at the hands of the Manchester University Spartans on Saturday afternoon at the Warsaw Tennis and Fitness Club.
The Pioneers found themselves behind early, as they dropped all three doubles' decisions. The No. 2 doubles match featured one of the best battles of the day, as the pair of junior Luke Groene / Esteban Favetto pushed their opponents to the limit before falling by a 9-8 pro-set score.
However, Transylvania quickly responded as play shifted to singles competition as Groene earned a 6-1, 6-3 straight-set victory in NO. 1 singles action.
Junior Eric Sandknop turned in a strong showing in No. 3 singles, where the Pioneer dropped a 2-6 first set decision before picking up a 6-3 victory in the second set. However, Sandknop's foe Connor Eichenauer answered back to win the third set 6-1 to capture the match.
Favetto had a similar experience in the No. 4 singles matchup; after falling behind early, Favetto came back strong in the second set to claim the second set before eventually losing the match 1-6, 6-7, 1-6.
Transylvania went on to drop decisions in both No. 5 and No. 6 singles, bringing the final match score to 8-1 in favor of Manchester.
For more on Transylvania tennis, follow @TransyTennis on Twitter
Manchester 8, Transylvania 1
1. Luke Groene (TU) def. Stratton Smith (MU-M)) 6-1, 6-3
2. Isaac Collis (MU-M) def. Chris. Eli Hack (TU) 6-1, 6-1
3. Connor Eichenauer (MU-M) def. Eric Sandknop (TU) 2-6, 6-3, 2-6
4. Kyler Love (MU-M) def. Esteban Favetto (TU) 6-1, 6-7, 6-1
5. Garrett Bear (MU-M) def. J.T. Henderson (TU) 6-1, 6-0
6. Gavin Eads (MU-M)) def. Daniel Cooper (TU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Connor Eichenauer / Kyler Love (MU-M) def. Luke Groene / Eseteban Favetto (TU) 9-8