Pioneers men's soccer stunned by Manchester in double overtime

Manchester men's soccer 1, transy 0

North Manchester, Ind. – The No. 20 Transylvania men's soccer team saw its 11-match season-opening win streak come to an end in stunning fashion, falling 1-0 in double overtime to the Manchester University Spartans Saturday afternoon at the Spartan Soccer Complex.

Coming into the match having just secured sole possession of first place last Wednesday in the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference standings, the Pioneers took on the unheralded Spartans, who entered the afternoon at 1-3 in conference play, and 5-8 overall.

From the outset, the Pioneers experienced a challenging offering from the upset-minded hosts. For 90 minutes the Spartans offered plenty of resistance in an evenly played match. Transylvania mustered six shots in the first half and another five in the second half, but struggled to put the ball on net.

Meanwhile, sophomore goalkeeper Drew Grisham did his part in goal, matching Manchester keeper Brady Forman for the first 90 minutes of gameplay.

Offense remained infrequent for both sides as the match journeyed into a first overtime. Sophomore striker Jason Murillo mustered two shots, but each went wide of the net. Grisham staved off Manchester's best chance in the 94th minute and the game required a second overtime.

It was Josh Gonzalez who became the hero for Manchester, taking a straight on-shot at the center of the goal that connected for the first score of the game in the 104th minute to complete the upset for Manchester.

With the loss, Transylvania slides into a tie for first place on the HCAC table with Rose-Hulman, whom the Pioneers defeated 1-0 on September 30.

Transylvania has four matches remaining in its regular season, beginning with a Wednesday, October 18 home match versus Franklin College. Opening kick is set for 7:00 p.m. between the Pioneers and Grizzlies at Pat Deacon Stadium.

For more on Transylvania men's soccer, follow @TransyMSoccer on Twitter