RICHMOND, Ind.—The Transylvania University women's tennis team picked up its first win of the season with a dominating, 9-0, win over Earlham College Wednesday.
Transylvania impressed Wednesday sweeping the match in double and singles play. The Pioneers were tabbed second in the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference preseason poll and proved to warrant such a ranking Wednesday.
The highly-touted duo of Claire Mielcarek and Megan Dixon picked up an 8-2 win in the first doubles match of the day to lead the charge for the Pioneers. Mielcarek and Dixon both earned HCAC honors for their performance in 2013.
The Pioneers carried the momentum into singles play, taking all six matches to earn their first win of the season.
Transylvania hosts Defiance College Saturday in another HCAC event. The match is slated for 10 a.m.
Transylvania 9, Earlham 0
- Claire Mielcarek /Megan Dixon (TRANSY) def. Claire Welsh/Ana Gubanova (EARLHAM) 8-2
- Lilli Williams/Mary Grace Amato (TRANSY) def. Vesta Davis/Jordan Grimes (EARLHAM) 8-0
- Jessica Shotwell/Sophie Head (TRANSY) def. Ayani Shoji/Arita Domi (EARLHAM) 8-3
- Claire Mielcarek (TRANSY) def. Claire Welsh (EARLHAM) 7-6 (7-0), 6-0
- Megan Dixon (TRANSY) def. Ana Gubanova (EARLHAM) 6-0, 6-1
- Lilli Williams (TRANSY) def. Vesta Davis (EARLHAM) 6-0, 6-0
- Mary Grace Amato (TRANSY) def. Ayani Shoji (EARLHAM) 6-0, 6-1
- Jessica Shotwell (TRANSY) def. Jordan Grimes (EARLHAM) 6-1, 6-1
- Sophie Head (TRANSY) def. Kaitlin Morgan (EARLHAM) 6-2, 6-4