LEXINGTON, Ky.—In front of a large crowd of purple, the Transylvania University women's tennis team cruised to a 9-0 victory over Defiance College at the Transylvania Tennis Complex.
The win marked the second straight for the Pioneers, as they are now 2-0 in Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference play on the season.
With special guest, Torsie Haugli, in attendance the Pioneers played with an added purpose in dedication to their former teammate who is battling a rare form of acute large cell lymphoma.
Transylvania set the tone in the opening set of doubles play, as Claire Mielcarek and Megan Dixon posted an 8-0 win. The freshman duo of Lilli Williams and Mary Grace Amato followed suit en route to a 8-1 win in the day's second match. The Pioneers took the final doubles match 8-0 thanks to Jessica Shotwell and Sophie Head to sweep doubles play.
The story was much the same in singles play, as the Pioneers dropped just nine games in six singles matches.
With another convincing conference win, the Pioneers move to 2-1overall on the season. Transylvania welcomes Hanover to Lexington Wednesday for a HCAC matchup. The match is set for 4 p.m.
Transylvania 9, Defiance 0
- Claire Mielcarek/Megan Dixon (TRANSY) def. Nicole Tank/Savannah Marquez (DEFIANCE) 8-0
- Lilli Williams/Mary Grace Amato (TRANSY) def. Haley Kuhlman/Bailey Marquez (DEFIANCE) 8-1
- Jessica Shotwell/Sophie Head (TRANSY) def. Colby Heeter/Courtney Alexander (DEFIANCE) 8-0
- Claire Mielcarek (TRANSY) def. Nicole Tank (DEFIANCE) 6-0, 6-0
- Megan Dixon (TRANSY) def. Savannah Marquez (DEFIANCE) 6-0, 6-0
- Lilli Williams (TRANSY) def. Haley Kuhlman (DEFIANCE) 6-2, 7-5
- Mary Grace Amato (TRANSY) def. Bailey Marquez (DEFIANCE) 6-1, 6-1
- Jessica Shotwell (TRANSY) def. Colby Heeter (DEFIANCE) 6-0, 6-0
- Sophie Head (TRANSY) def. Courtney Alexander (DEFIANCE) 6-0, 6-0