LEXINGTON, Ky.—In a highly anticipated match between two of the top teams in the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference, Hanover College topped Transylvania, 7-2, Wednesday at the Transylvania University Tennis Complex.
Hanover was tabbed HCAC preseason favorite, as the Pioneers were picked to finish second in conference play.
Transylvania picked up the first point of the match as the duo of Claire Mielcarek and Megan Dixon topped Hanover's Allison Poston and Mallory Noble, 8-5, to remain undefeated in conference doubles play. However, Hanover took the final two doubles matches to take a 2-1 lead as the teams headed into singles play.
Mielcarek bested Hanover's Mackenzie Spicer, 6-2, 6-3, to give the Pioneers their second and final point of the match.
The Pioneers fall to 2-2 on the season and travel to Anderson University Saturday for another HCAC match-up.
Hanover 7, Transylvania 2
- Claire Mielcarek/Megan Dixon (TRANSY) def. Allison Poston/Mallory Noble (HC) 8-5
- Mackenzie Spicer/Alana Feeley (HC) def. Lilli Williams/Mary Grace Amato (TRANSY) 8-6
- Kelsey Jones/Kalynne Miller (HC) def. Jessica Shotwell/Sophie Head (TRANSY) 8-4
- Claire Mielcarek (TRANSY) def. Mackenzie Spicer (HC) 6-2, 6-3
- Allison Poston (HC) def. Megan Dixon (TRANSY) 6-0, 6-1
- Mallory Noble (HC) def. Lilli Williams (TRANSY) 6-3, 6-1
- Kelsey Jones (HC) def. Mary Grace Amato (TRANSY) 6-3, 6-1
- Alana Feeley (HC) def. Jessica Shotwell (TRANSY) 6-0, 6-0
- Kalynne Miller (HC) def. Sophie Head (TRANSY) 6-1, 6-1