ANDERSON, Ind.— In a close Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference match, home-standing Anderson University topped the Transylvania University women's tennis team, 5-4, Saturday.
The Pioneers took the first point of the match, as the All-HCAC duo of Claire Mielcarek and Megan Dixon remained undefeated on the season with an 8-4 win in doubles play. Anderson, however, answered taking the final two doubles matches to take a 2-1 lead into singles play.
Mielcarek helped the Pioneers even the score at two apiece with a win 6-0, 6-0 over Anderson's Slyvia Schiering in the first singles match. Dixon added another win for Transylvania topping Ashlan Millikan 6-0, 6-4 to give the Pioneers a 3-2 advantage.
Despite a solid effort by Transylvania, Anderson edged the Pioneers in three of the final four matches to escapes with a 5-4 win. Transylvania falls to 2-3 on the season with the loss.
The Pioneers host Manchester University in another critical HCAC match Saturday. The match is slated for 10 a.m.
Anderson University 5, Transylvania University 4
- Claire Mielcarek/Megan Dixon (TRANSY) def. Ashlan Millikan/Michaela Hammel (AU) 8-4
- Sylvia Schering/ Michaela Hurd (AU) def. Lilli Williams/Mary Grace Amato (TRANSY) 8-5
- Sarah Starshak/Katie Kirkman (AU) def. Jessica Shotwell/Sophie Head (TRANSY) 8-3
- Claire Mielcarek (TRANSY) def. Sylvia Schering (AU) 6-0, 6-0
- Megan Dixon (TRANSY) def. Ashlon Millikan (AU)6-0, 6-4
- Michaela Hammel (AU) def. Lilli Williams (TRANSY) 6-4, 6-0
- Michaela Hurd (AU) def. Mary Grace Amato (TRANSY) 5-7, 6-0, 6-1
- Jessica Shotwell (TRANSY) def. Sarah Starshak (AU) 6-2, 6-3
- Katie Kirkman (AU) def. Sophie Head (TRANSY) 6-4, 6-0